If you’re a homeowner who relies on heating oil to keep your home warm, you may be familiar with some of the pain points that come with using this type of fuel. From high fuel costs to maintenance and repair issues, heating oil can be a costly and unreliable source of heat. One solution to these problems is converting to natural gas. In this blog, we’ll take a look at some of the benefits of natural gas over heating oil, the different natural gas options available, and what homeowners can expect from the oil-to-gas conversion process.
Pain Points for Homeowners with Heating Oil
Homeowners with heating oil enjoy some benefits over natural gas, however a lot of times it can be frustrating and time-consuming to maintain a heating oil system compared to a natural gas supply. Some of the major pain points for homeowners with heating oil include:
- High fuel costs: Heating oil prices can be unpredictable and can fluctuate greatly, making it difficult for homeowners to budget for their heating expenses.
- Environmental concerns: Heating oil is a fossil fuel and its use contributes to air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Maintenance and repairs: Heating oil systems require regular maintenance and can be prone to breakdowns and leaks, which can be costly to repair.
Why Convert to Natural Gas?
Converting to a natural gas heating system from heating oil can yield homeowners many benefits. Some of the major benefits homeowners who convert to natural gas can enjoy include:
- Cost-effective: Natural gas is typically less expensive than heating oil, making it a more budget-friendly option for homeowners.
- Environmentally friendly: Natural gas is a cleaner-burning fuel that produces fewer emissions than heating oil.
- Reliable: Natural gas systems are less prone to breakdowns and repairs, providing homeowners with a more reliable and efficient heating source.
Natural Gas Appliances
With an oil-to-gas conversion, homeowners must consider the cost of updating their major appliances as well. These appliances include water heaters, boilers, and furnaces. Each type of system has its own set of features and benefits, and a professional plumber and HVAC technician can help determine the best option for a homeowner’s specific needs and preferences.
Features and Benefits of Natural Gas over Heating Oil
- Lower operating costs: Natural gas is typically less expensive than heating oil, which can save homeowners money in the long run.
- Greater efficiency: Natural gas systems are typically more efficient than heating oil systems, which can help reduce energy costs and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Increased comfort: Natural gas systems can provide more consistent heating, which can lead to a more comfortable living environment.
What to Expect from the Oil to Gas Conversion Process
Workers will need access to the home to complete the conversion process, which typically takes 1-2 days to complete. During the conversion process, appliances that use the heating system, such as boilers or furnaces, may need to be shut off temporarily and may need to be replaced with natural gas-compatible appliances.
Oil to Natural Gas Conversion Process
- Consultation with a professional plumber to determine the best natural gas system for the home
- Obtain necessary permits and approvals
- Disconnect and remove the existing heating oil system
- Install the new natural gas system
- Connect the system to the natural gas line
- Test and inspect the new system
- Train homeowner on how to operate and maintain the new system
In conclusion, converting from heating oil to natural gas can provide homeowners with a more cost-effective, environmentally friendly, and reliable heating source. A professional plumber and HVAC technician can help guide homeowners through the conversion process and ensure that their new natural gas system is properly installed and maintained. If you’re a homeowner still using heating oil, reach out to Master PHC today to explore your options for converting to natural gas. Don’t forget to check out our Google reviews!